Table of contents
Barberini Palace – a classicist-Baroque town house designed by Carl von Gontard
The Barberini Palace, which was built from 1771 to 1772 under the Prussian King Friedrich II according to plans by Carl von Gontard, was a classicist-baroque town house. The aim was to give the old market the image of a Roman square.
The building was named after the Palazzo Barberini in Rome, which the king designed as a model. The Potsdam replica of the Italian model formed the monumental south-eastern end of the Old Market and was one of the last buildings built around the square under Friedrich II.
In the middle of the 19th century, the Barberini Palace was extended by two rear side wings facing the Havel, based on designs by Ludwig Persius and Ludwig Ferdinand Hesse, and used as a place of cultural and club life in Potsdam.
Destroyed by air raid
The palace was largely destroyed in the air raid on April 14, 1945 and the ruins were torn down during the GDR era.
Reconstruction in the course of the redesign of the center of Potsdam
In the course of the redesign of Potsdamer Mitte with the reconstruction of the city palace as a new state parliament building and other buildings in the neighborhood, after donations by Hasso Plattner from 2013 to the end of 2016, the Barberini Palace was largely rebuilt to the original for use as an art house “Museum Barberini” .
Museum Barberini – Art house in the center of Potsdam
You can visit permanent and temporary art exhibitions at the Barberini Museum. Based on the works of the collection of the founder and patron Hasso Plattner, three changing exhibitions per year are presented with loans from international museums and private collections.
Exhibition program Museum Barberini in Potsdam
Information on current exhibitions at the Museum Barberini is available here:
Further information is available at: https://www.museum-barberini.com
Foto Info: Potsdam, Palast Barberini aus nordwestlicher Richtung, Fotografie von 1907. scanned from: Peter Herrmann/Peter Rogge: Spaziergänge durch Potsdam. Fotografien aus dem Atelier Eichgrün zwischen 1890 und 1952, Potsdam 2010, ISBN 978-3-00-032409-3 (By Ernst Eichgrün (1858-1925) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons)
Address of the Barberini Palace
Humboldtstraße 5-6, 14467 Potsdam